Thursday, April 24, 2014

School Library Month ~ Staff Reading Memories

From Mrs. Yaw:

“My favorite childhood book was "We Help Mommy". It was about a little girl and boy who stayed at home with their mom and helped her do her work around the house. I think I liked it so much because it was just like me and my brother at home with our mom. My mom read this book to me over and over!”

From Mrs. Wiedeman:

“When I was a kid, my mom was the elementary librarian at the school I attended.  I remember getting so excited for library days because we would always sit in the library pit and my mom would read us a new story or perform a puppet play for us.  My mom would order lots of new books for the library and she would bring them home for us to read. I always felt lucky to be the "first" person to read the new books.  To this day, I still can't wait to get my hands on new books and read, read, read!”




From Mrs. Hendricks:

“My favorite books as a child were American Girl, Boxcar Children, and Babysitters Club.”



From Mrs. Carrie Birr:

“I remember someone recommended that I read "The Kissing Hand" book to my youngest before she went to her first day of Kindergarten.  So the night before I read her the book, hoping it would encourage her and make her feel safe about going to Kindergarten.  Instead I was crying and could barely see the words to finish reading the book.  She ended up telling me, "It's okay mom, I'll be fine."  Great book - but just don't read it the night before your baby goes to Kindergarten.”

From Mrs. Hucek:

“My absolute favorite book as a child was "The King Who Rained" by Fred Gwynn (also known as Herman Munster of TV's popular "The Munsters") It's basically a book of illustrated idioms.  I remember sitting with my mother reading and looking at it over and over again.  My favorite parts/illustrations were the page with the "frog in the mom's throat" and the page with the "coat of arms" (which also kind of creeped me out) Now when I work with ELL kids on learning English idioms I have used this book and it always brings me right back to my childhood! I love kids' books!!!!!”

From Mrs. Pamperin:

“When I was little I used to love fairy tale books where the impossible could happen to regular people. Spin straw into gold?  If only I could do that I too could marry a prince!  I took up sewing instead and waited for my prince to find me....... That is one of the best things about reading----we can experience in a book something that could never really happen.”






No comments:

Post a Comment