Tuesday, April 22, 2014

April is School Library Month

In honor of School Library Month, I asked the adults at Glenbrook what some of their favorite reading memories are. I received a lot of responses and will post them on the blog over the next couple of days. If you are interested in reading them all, before I post them, stop on down to the library and check them out!

From Mr. Sufka:

“I've always loved reading, from learning new things through non-fiction, to being able to explore far off places and go on adventures while turning the pages of a great fictional novel, reading has always been something I enjoyed.  I grew up reading "Little Golden Books" and Curious George stories and through elementary school, I  probably read all of the "Encyclopedia Brown" and "Choose Your Own Adventure" books along with authors such as Mark Twain, Judy Blume, and Robert Newton Peck.  I also remember my 4th grade teacher reading 3 novels to us they were "Mrs. Frisbee and the Rats of Nihm", "The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler", and "A Taste of Blackberries".  I remember this as being the favorite part of my day in his class.  As I got older and even now, I love reading biographies of athletes and interesting figures along with books from James Patterson and John Grisham.”

From Ms. D:

“The first book that I remember falling in love with was "My Side of the Mountain" by Jean Craighead George. We read this novel as a class when I was in 5th grade. Being a very outdoorsy kid the book really held my interest. Our teacher had us build a log cabin while reading the novel. We had to correctly measure and cut dowels utilizing a hand saw, use clay for chinking between the dowels, cut paper bag shingles, and utilize gravel to build a chimney. It took several weeks to construct the cabin but we did it independently which resulted in a huge feeling of accomplishment.  I still have the cabin today which sits in my living room as decoration. Every time I look at that cabin it brings back memories of my love for that story.”

From Mrs. Gee:

“My parents read to me every day when I was a child so I learned to love reading at a very young age. My favorite memory was from when I was in third grade. My teacher, Mrs. Luther, brought in the entire Nancy Drew series which my best friend and I proceeded to read in its entirety. To this day, I still read every day!”



No comments:

Post a Comment